July 17, 2022

When It Rains...EAT! (and Put Up the Christmas Tree)

 

This last month the rains have been falling every day! For the most part our lives go uninterrupted. However, we do wear wellies outside and know which umbrellas can withstand the wind! So we have been finding ways to enjoy our time indoors.

The kids have been doing hip hop classes and swimming lessons. Lucky Dragon has continued his piano and has started to learn new songs on his own. Koala Bear has been reading every day with her online classes and doing really well. Tonight she read several versus of scriptures all by herself! Both Muggles have been working on their cart-wheels. The benefits of not having much in the house is that there are plenty of places to practice. They have both nearly perfected it too!

We have also been eating! We have found some really great restaurants with some amazing friends. And Lady Hiva has been taking some cooking classes and trying new kinds of food too. I love that both Muggles want to cook and be in the kitchen. They are able to now follow a recipe, use a knife on their own, and even crack open their own eggs without getting the shells into the bowl! 

All the good food we have been eating...this photos is the ONLY thing that I DO NOT like AT ALL! As in...I spit it out almost immediately and had the taste in my mouth for several minutes. It was so strong that the taste brought instant and NOT delicious imagery to mind. One of our friends described it as "It tastes like Grandpa's too strong cologne on a Sunday where there is no windows for ventilation." I described it almost as closely as it "tastes like I licked an old man's cheek after he put on pungent after shave." (If that does not give you the imagery of what it tastes like, let me know and we can make sure that you have some to try when you come to India to visit! 

This restaurant specializes in Indian Street food. It was delicious! WAY more expensive than actual street food, but this was one of those places that everything you eat is amazing and then you try the next dish and it is even better! I love food, but I am not a "foody" like Lady Hiva that LIVES for food, but even I was thinking about and talking about this food a long time after we left. I am plotting when we can make it back. 




Lady Hiva and some friends bought some fresh dumpling noodles and made some dumplings. The two Muggles went along with us and they were so proud of their food! As soon as I walked in the door after work they wanted me to come in and try it. They stood there and watched my face as I did to ensure that it was as exhilarating to me as it was to them! And the best part is that I did not even have to pretend because it really WAS delicious. Koala Bear even told me that I had to "dip it in the sauce that we made because it is DELICIOUS!" 










I have now found cheese that I like and we have shipped ourselves tortilla chips. My first bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch arrived!! It was such a miracle! It had to be under 16oz to be shipped here and I had to wait for several weeks for it to arrive,  but it made it, so I can now have my one guilty pleasure--nachos! 

Lady Hiva went to a bread making class and learned how to make some delicious focaccia (she says that it is a "knock-off" version...but it tastes like it and looks like it to me, and I am the one writing the blog, so I am going to call it focaccia.) It was so delicious. The house smelled amazing and I found some great olive oil and some Modena balsamic vinegar (we only eat balsamic from Modena) to enjoy with the bread. I loved it. 









And to honor Ginger, we made sour dough pancakes! The Muggles loved that! Little things like this make it feel more like home. 






Speaking of making things feel like home...We have been listening to Disney playlists, the Tonga Sisters, and watching Yo-Sama videos. These two Muggles will bust out into Yo-Sama reenactments at any point. Koala Bear does really good accents. Then they have us all in laughter. 

...AND...we put up the Christmas tree! As you know, I usually  have to wait until 1 NOV to put up the tree because Lady Hiva loves Halloween. So I have to suffer through Halloween before I can decorate for Christmas. However, this year we all agreed that the Christmas Tree makes us happy, so why wait?! If COVID has taught us anything, it is to not wait but do what makes you happy! So we now have the tree up again. We took it down in May when we left Washington, DC and it is back up in July! BEST YEAR EVER!! 






This kid has loved that Kindle has unlimited books for him to read! 



No comments:

Post a Comment