April 14, 2022

Monticello Is Still My Favorite

Growing up I remember seeing all of the manors of the Founding Fathers. I liked Mount Vernon, but my favorite was always Monticello. Going to Monticello this week with the family helped me reconfirm that I still love Monticello best. 

Not only did I appreciate the Charlottesville and the surrounding countryside better, the home is stunning. We had so much fun exploring the gardens and museums. They assign you a time to enter the actual home, but there is so much to do around the home that does not require a time. The history of Monticello, the Jefferson family, and the enslaved people that lived there were well done. 
 



Monticello was open about the family that lived there, which included the slaves, and how they lived. From the museum placards and tour information to the staff, they addressed slavery directly. They acknowledged the grandeur of Monticello but also acknowledged that much of what Monticello became was due to the slaves who worked and gave their lives on the plantation. The wholistic view is appreciated. 



Some of the activities included using the wheel cypher that Jefferson created to make a message during the Revolutionary War and writing with quill pens. 




































































































I love that your children are learning about different aspects of our Nation's history. It opens the door for good conversations about people, their decisions, and how to appreciate all that has been done but also acknowledge things that did not go so well. On the way home we did a random trivia game and it was so cool to hear both Muggles answer questions from their own experience about our nation's history. 










We drove back roads back to Washington, D.C. and it is beautiful! We stopped to take a few photos along the way. I especially loved the old chapels. 









1 comment:

  1. Couldn’t agree more! Like you, I’ve been to all of the notable homes along the east coast, including the mansions of Newport, Rhode Island and there’s just a magic about Monticello. Always will be. We took our kids there a few years ago and it was just as I remembered but maybe even more fascinating since I’ve aged a bit :). Glad you guys had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete