December 18, 2022

Exploring Nature in Singapore

 

As I have walked for countless hours and even more miles each day I am impressed by Singapore's commitment to cleanliness and the environment.  

I learned in the museums about the purposeful way leaders in the 1960s and 1970s had a vision for Singapore. They wanted economic growth, but also valued the nature of the islands. I can see the fruits of their labor as I walk around the city. 

While it is a city of high rises and packed full of people, nature is never far away. Whether it is a small community garden or park, or a large reserve, it brings beauty to the city. 

I was lucky that the hotel I booked was along the river. It was an anchor for me. No matter where I was in the winding streets as long as I knew where the river was I could fins my way back. Everyday I would start my explorations along the river. I loved seeing the turtles and the otters play. 






They even had gardens on rooftops! I found myself wondering how they deal with tree roots. Some of the trees on top of the buildings were quite big!


Malls had nature that was beautiful and very manicured. 

Sometimes, I would have to go look because they were so perfect I wasn't sure they were real. 

One day if wandering took me to Fort Canning Hill. This hill used to be home to royalty and military during Singapore's turbulent history.  Now it is a beautiful garden oasis. 













I loved the surprise gems of gardens sprinkled throughout the city. They were just tucked away between buildings bringing a place of serenity.


Another day I made it up to the Botanic Garden. It was something you could spend days and days enjoying. Each section had a theme. It combined education and nature. You could learn as you walk!
















I loved seeing all of these little signs around. This one urges people to be clean in public toilets. Another encouraged people to smile and wave to others. There are quite a few DO NOT LITTER signs around. Which I appreciate because it means no rubbish all over. When I went to the movies one night there were only two commercials before the movie--one was about diversity and asking people to proactively end discrimination to embrace diversity.  The second was about pollution and fighting it by buying trees.
Orchids are temperamental plants. You cannot water them too much. You cannot water them too little. Cannot be too hot. Cannot be too cold. They are so hard to care for. But here they just grow on the side of the road as a weed would!



One day I got the crazy idea to wander up to Treetop Walk. This short Walk ended up being a 36 mile round-trip! But I saw so much. I loved Rifle Range Park that had flying squirrels, flying lizards, and flying snakes! I was able to see one of the squirrels.  Again I wished my two Muggles were here with me to see this! I was at least able to call Lady Hiva and let her see it.










There were SO many monkey families. And so many signs demanding nobody feed them!





I wandered around trails for hours. It was so beautiful to be in nature and hear the frogs, see the birds, and just enjoy being outside. 



Treetop Walk was quite the trek. Lots of stairs and steep hills. But the view was amazing!











One of the things I have loved about Singapore is the clean water. As I walked around I learned why it is so clean. They protect it. The placed that seemed the most highly guarded were the reservoirs and ponds. You could not swim, fish, eat, or smoke near them!


This bird was the most brilliant blue. It flew away just as I went to take a photo.














I loved being outside everyday in the clean air and with nature. I loved the running trails all over. I am going to miss that when I go back to India. 

No comments:

Post a Comment