December 09, 2022

Unplanned Nose Job and Face Lift

 

The next few days were busy and packed full of logistics. Once all the doctors (both within the embassy and consulate and external) agreed that I needed to get medical care outside things progressed quickly. 

The first question was where. It looked like London or Singapore were the options from India. After a team of doctors reviewed my case and contacted potential doctors, they decided Singapore was able to take my case. They had a doctor/surgeon with the ability to do the surgery, had a lab on-site, and had plastic surgery experience. That was important to me as this is my face we are slicing into!







The procedure I need done is called MOH's which is named after an American doctor who found it. The idea is they will take out flesh layer by layer and test it. Thus getting out all the cancer without taking too much. There is not much flesh on the nose to take, so this was important.

Within 8 hours we had been booked into appointments, scheduling a surgery and after some negotiating found tickets and a hotel. I told Lady Hiva it was so expensive that she did not need to come...she lectured me, "you are going to Singapore to have surgery. On your face. For cancer. I WILL be there with you!" OK, the boss has spoken! Haha. In all reality it was so nice to have the three of them travel with me. It made a really dreary reason to travel fun. I will write a blog or two about our non-cancer experience in Singapore. 

It was such a quick turn around, we were in a rush to find someone to look after our house, give away the fruit and vegetables we had bought, and let people know our weekend plans had changed. Our home was packed full all day. We had writing classes for Lucky Dragon, and friends over for dinner--both previously planned. So we talked to friends as we packed. The house was not as clean as we usually leave it, but oh well, bigger things to worry about. 

My appointment was early in the morning. I liked the surgeon and his staff. He was frank and factual about the way he discussed the diagnosis and the procedure. After a quick talk, we were in the operation room. I don't do well with anesthesia, so they did a local block. Let me tell you, it hurts so bad when they give the first shot in the nose!!




I could not feel the pain, but could feel the pressure as he dug down into my nose much like someone scooping ice cream! Once the first round of digging was done, they lab tested it while I went to sit with Lady Hiva and the muggles. The results showed that of skin cancers I had the middle of 3 types. So not good, but not severe yet. (Again, glad I followed that urgent prompt to get it checked). 

I went back into the surgery room and listened to the radio play Justin Timberlake " "Can't Stop The Feeling" and they got ready to cut more. Again tried to ignore the smell of burning flesh. Now the end of my nose was cut off, they needed to graft and reconstruct it. 

They took flesh and skin from the area of my cheek between my sideburn and ear. The doctor called it the "face lift portion" of the cheek. They cut out the pieces they needed to rebuild the nose, they cut it straight and sewed it up. I tried so hard to focus on Justin Timberlake during this process because although I could not feel it, I could hear the steady snip, snip, of the scissors right next to my ear! So it was a mental game to not focus on the fact that it was my flesh it was cutting. Haha!

When he was doing stitches some of the local anesthesia must have been wearing off because I started to feel it. My pain tolerance is really high but with the sharp pain and the tugging, my body reflexively wanted to lift my head to ease the pain. My hands were at my sides and white knuckle clamped onto the operated table. The doctor kept saying "relax, relax" in his British accent (he went to school in the UK). I would breathlessly mumble in a tooth clenched grind that I was trying to. He finally asked if I could feel it...yes, I can! Lol.  

The one nurse had glasses on so I could watch what they were doing. I loved that.



They brought Lady Hiva in towards the end to see the reconstruction and give instructions on how to care for it. So I walked out of the place with an accidental rhinoplasty and face lift! The bandages all over my face show it!

I went back the next day for a dressing change and to check on the graft health. The doctors decided to have me stay in Singapore longer. Lady Hiva and the Muggles needed to go back. I will have several more appointments over the next several weeks and then back early next year to look at some other spots. 

I am thankful for doctors who spent years and years in school. Then several years of practicing so I could be with the best. I am thankful for work and the teams of doctors who worked so hard to get me the best and made it possible to have it all done. 




The before photos. Well, I still have the biopsy hole, but close enough. What they took out this time was much bigger.


4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! I have 2 spots to get checked. One was frozen but I want him to check it again, and the other he thinks is cancer but won’t biopsy until after I have baby. One spot under each eye. When I went in 2019 they told me it was eczema. Sheesh. Our palangi skin. I’m glad your ok and that they caught it before it got further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had it taken care of! Feel better soon🥰

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the ability to make challenges in life seem doable. I’m sure this lifts the spirit of others facing their own challenges. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery so you can get back to your ohana. Much aloha🙏🏽❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad all went well and your family was with you. May the Lord always bless you.

    ReplyDelete