December 19, 2022

Exploring Walkable Singapore While Growing My New Nose




I stayed in Singapore while I grew my new nose. Lady Hiva and the two Muggles went back to India for school etc. It was sad to see them go. They are my people. As I explored more of a Singapore I found myself wishing for them to be with me. Small things would remind me of them...I would think how Lady Hiva would live the food I was eating or the flowers I was passing. Lucky Dragon would like the turtles and the flying monkeys. Koala Bear would like the delicious watermelon and the otters. We may just have to come back!

As a recap of my stay I would sum it up that I love Singapore. I love the diversity.  I love the plants. I love the fresh air and fresh water. I love how walkable it is. I love how kind people are. 

I could not just sit alone in a hotel room. But I also was not allowed to do any strenuous activities. So I walked. I walked a lot. My best guess is that I walked just about 300 miles. I walked through countless malls. More malls than I have been into combined over my lifetime. But these made good air conditioned places to walk out of the rain. Malls are also great places to people watch. It was also good to see all the brands we love as I walked around.  

I walked through neighborhoods, I walked along the river, I saw different cultures, I saw how areas are completely different during the day and night, I was in the towering skyscrapers of the city, in the quiet of the jungle, and in the labyrinth of tunnels underground.  It got to the point that as I walked I would recognize places I had been on an earlier trip. Most days I would just set out along the river and then go wherever looked interesting. 

I literally wore my shoes out. Lady Hiva and I laughed that as I took my shoes off yesterday the stuffing was coming out of them where my boney ankles rub.

While I walked I would listen to books. I would also carry a hardcopy of another book. So when I was eating or stopped, I would read that book. In the time here I finished reading 17 books. This includes reading the entire Book of Mormon from cover to cover.  This gave me a grand total of 5,500+ pages! Books are amazing!

I ate such delicious food! I had burgers! All were good but some were AMAZING! I ate noodles, Ramen, and dumplings. I ate food from China, Taiwan, Philippines, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, United States, and Turkey. For an international foody, this would be a dream place to eat!





I thought Lucky Dragon would love this robotic security guard.  He and Koala Bear was so fascinated by the robot servers that collected your trays in restaurants. 
I loved the clean leafy greens. It is amazing what you appreciate when you realize some people don't have easy access to it. 
I found little niche stores to explore. Lady Hiva and I both loved these dinnerware styles.





This Japanese restaurant was so traditional. You had to remove your shoes to sit at the table on mats. 
Lady Hiva talked me into going to the Sound of Music. I like musicals but this is one I had never seen. She said it was her favorite.  She has made the kids watch the video version of it with her but for some reason I had never seen it. 

I am glad I went! It was so well done. The music was spectacular. I was surprised how many of the songs I knew for never having seen it. I sat between a couple whose 10 year old was one of the Von Trapp children and an older woman who must have been a performer at some point because she would sing along and had a beautiful voice. 








This peach drink was delicious!  Again, something I knew Lady Hiva would like.
I had to bring Pokemon cards home. Our kids have been into trading with their friends. I don't understand it. But they love it, so when I saw some at 7-11 I got some. 





One night I accidentally found the Merlion. The Merlion is the symbol for Singapore.


The architecture of Singapore is amazing. So many varieties and unique styles. This Apple store was one of the coolest Apple stores I had ever seen. It was a bubble out on the bay. 







A few nights I made my way to the Marina Bay Sands to watch the water show. The music was powerful and the dancing water was amazing.  









I took several tours through Chinatown.  One day I went for temples. I had two I wanted to see, but then as I walked I found 4 others. Each similar but unique.  Some small and simple. Others were massive and ornate.





















I stopped and watched the older guys play checkers. It was fun to see some traditional culture--away from the touristy aspects of the city.



















I loved the Turkish/Arabic section of the city. I went back to eat. They were so shocked tl and happy to hear me speak Turkish.  They made a big deal over it. Then even more shocked when the Filipino server brought my food and started speaking Tagalog to me to tease me and I responded in Tagalog! Hahaha















Look at all of those running shoes!! 
Hokkaido ice cream. I tried salted Carmel for me and peach for Lady Hiva. I am sure she appreciates that I ate ice cream for her without her. Haha.

























In my last doctor's appointment they took out the remaining stitches and gave me the green light to go home! I am sad to leave this amazing city but happy to go see my family in person. Technology makes it so much easier and we spend plenty of time on video call together.  But I will be happy to see them in real life! 

My nose looks really amazing. Had you not seen the huge gaping hole they had to refill, you would never know! I am thankful to the miracle of our bodies and the training of good doctors. 


Here are some before and after shots...just realize they are a bit medically graphic so you might want to skip them if you are queasy. 


















2 comments:

  1. Welp! Now I have a new place to put on my bucket list !! So glad you’re healing, have had a good experience and are back with your fam. Merry Christmas, the Harrison gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete