September 18, 2016

Weekend of Witches

As you all know there are not many things Lady Hiva and I disagree on, one of those things is her love for Halloween. I just can't quite share her fervor for the gory holiday. One year, when she was on bed rest with one of her pregnancies, she asked me to get some Halloween decorations for the house. I came home with what she terms "Autumn Decor" not Halloween! haha. We have come to a truce over the years. My love for Christmas will not fully take over our lives until after 31 OCT (that being said, I was singing Christmas Carols in the car the other day with Lucky Dragon) and she will not decorate with skulls or anything gory. Seems to work so far.

This weekend she went into full Halloween mode. We bought stuff for her to do some crafty decor and then the highlight of the weekend was going to Gardner Village, a place we love anyway, for the first day of their "Witches." From now until Halloween all the shops take on a Halloween theme and sell items to help people like Lady Hiva on their quest to Halloween greatness!



Buying Fruit from the Farmer's Market





We had fun seeing all of the autumn decorations up and looking for all of the witch statues staged throughout the complex depicting many forms of witch activities. Some were playing baseball, one was jumping off a diving board, they were dancing, hula-hooping, brewing in a caldron and playing on their organ. Lucky Dragon loved watching for them and announcing when we found one.

We saw all of the Halloween decorations for sale and for display. You would have thought that these two people with me were in heaven. Lady Hiva found a fun witch hat that she loved (actually she found several, but we only bought one. She also saw several costumes that she liked, but there were really expensive.










That is when my creative thought process began. I told her I could make her one. So we went to the material store on the way home and bought the colors she liked.
This is how the outfit began...this and an idea in my head



This is my pattern...straight out of my head..haha

Four hours later the costume was complete! It is not perfect and it was hard to design it so she can wear it pregnant and also after she is not pregnant any more. It was fun to make. So she is all ready for Halloween. Tau'aho insists that he be Harry Potter--we have most of his costume ready. And he keeps telling us that I have to be Snape...hmmm...I guess that's who I'll be then. Not my first choice, but boss #2 has spoken hahaha!

Making the skirt




He was so interested


Finished product from the front

Finished Product from the back


Skirt from the front


I made her try on the outfit so I could see how it looked...




Showing off her 20 week bump!

No comments:

Post a Comment