June 19, 2017

How Do You Know You Are A Dad?


So, yes, it is easy to be a Father--or father a child--but when do you know you are a Dad? I think that hit me this past weekend while we celebrated Father's Day. I officially became a father several years ago and more permanently when our Lucky Dragon was born. Now we have added Koala Bear to the family too. But it was when I went to church on Sunday that I realized the how I have truly become a Dad!

You see many of you know I have a vain side and prefer to dress and look nice. I have always been particularly picky about the ties I wear. I knew I wanted to marry a woman that could choose a good tie--and I trust Lady Hiva's taste to the highest degree, if you were wondering. I just never understood why guys would wear ugly ties. I suppose that sometimes they may think those ties are fashionable or their style, other times it is because they were given the tie by a loved one. For years I knew that if I was given a tie I did not like, I would not wear it. I have not had to worry for the past 9 years because ties given to me by Lady Hiva are perfect. This year Tau'aho chose a Hilfiger tie with turtles on it.

It is navy blue and has hundreds of small turtles. This was not surprising because he loves turtles and owls. He has a turtle he sleeps with and we have watched the Smithsonian Turtle series several times over. It is not a tie I would choose to wear or buy. But I should have known that was what I would be wearing to Church.

Every Sunday we have this routine where he chooses what tie I wear and which cuff links. I also bought him a French Cuff shirt so we both wear cuff links. He gets to choose them for us both. Last week we both wore cars, we also have our initials. This Sunday he had me wear my turtle tie and turtle cuff links and he was so proud. And guess what...I was so proud to wear turtle like I have never done before. In that moment I had proof I was a dad--if the definition of dad is that we are willing to do things for those we love that we would not do otherwise.

Now, yes, it could be worse. The tie could be uglier or the task/sacrifice that we make is harder, but I still felt the same. I am grateful for my little family. Lady Hiva truly made it a special day. She cooked a beautiful breakfast and delicious dinner. They also gave me some wonderful gifts--legos, bright colored shirts and ties. Lucky Dragon made a card in Primary at church and his card said his favorite thing to do with his dad is camping. It is good we have been doing A LOT of that lately, and I guess we will do more. He also gave me some candy he chose and they were grape flavored! I detest grape flavoring. I like grapes, but the flavoring is horrible. I throw away grape Skittles rather than eat them (or give them to Lady Hiva). But he was so excited that I wanted to "share" them with him haha.



Yes, being a dad has opened a new world of happiness. I love watching our little ones grow. I want to be better for them. It also means I don't have to justify playing with legos. I can now name all of the Monster Trucks we see, sing theme songs to many cartoons, was SO excited for Disney's Cars 3 come out last week that I bought us tickets months ago for the opening night and have grown to love demolition derbies like never before. Who knows what will happen with Koala Bear gets older and has her own interests.

So yes, I wear turtles and go to monster truck rallies and I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT. And this is why:



No comments:

Post a Comment