It was my pleasure to host several Young Women from our congregation at work for a few hours. These ladies had completed their Divine Nature portion of their "Personal Progress" program where they focus on different values of being a Woman and Daughter of God. The next module they will work on is Knowledge.
To promote both values of Divine Nature and Knowledge the Young Women Leaders set up a time for the Young Women to come and visit the LDS Church Office Building and meet some successful women. The goal was to introduce the young women to careers they could look forward to.
This was complete with a short trip to look out at the top of the building 26 stories high! Because of the snow we could not go out on the landing, but we still could see a great view. The tour guide gave us some short stories about Salt Lake City and its founding. The young women were interested in the process of getting around the secure building. One of them even set off the alarms by going through the gates too early! So if anything was learned about this experience, it was that they know the building is secure and the alarm is LOUD!! hehe
They met with five different women during their time here. They heard each of the women's backgrounds and then were able to ask questions. As I sat there listening, I was touched by the stories of faith and love that each of these women shared. They were open, fun and full of great advice. I learned so much while listening, there are some amazing people in the world.
Here are a few of the wonderful words shared:
Melissa Riley, Senior Project Manager for the Self-Reliance Services Department
- "Life is hard, but it gets better"
- "A mission is the best thing that you will ever do...and the hardest thing you will ever do. But it shaped my life and made all the difference."
- "You may hear bad about the Church from friends and others, but being part of this Church is an amazing part of your life."
- "Life is not easy, things happen you don't expect, but God will be with you every step of the way."
- "The promptings from the Hold Ghost will come about what you should do, even if you were sure that is what you want. Follow those promptings."
- "Read your patriarchal blessings and find your talents and skills."
- "As you decide what to do with your life, or when life is hard, involve the Lord--He will guide you."
- "Doubts may come. They always do, throughout our whole lives. But the Spirit will help you know that the Lord wants you to do."
- "You have been sent here by a Heavenly Father that LOVES you. You will succeed. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. You have a mission to complete and the Lord will help you if you let him. "
Beth Wilkins, Director of Talent Development for the Human Resource Department
- "Follow promptings. Opportunities will come, take them as they come. I did not even know the job I do existed. But I love it. "
- "Find something that you are passionate about and do that."
- "Use your talents and skills to help others. Life does not necessarily turn out how you want it to, but it becomes even better than you expected if you do what the Lord guides you to do."
- "Get an education."
- "There are more opportunities out there for women now than ever. You can do anything that you set your mind to."
- "Find a way to lead like the Savior in all you do."
Phyllis Trimble, Human Resource Assistant for the Human Resource Department
- "My life is not the way I imagined it when I was your age. However, I love what I do and have found ways to serve."
- "Always use your skills and talents to find a way to do something better and faster."
- "Continue to learn. Never stop learning."
- "Finish your education. It opens doors"
- "Anticipate what others need and work to help solve their problems."
- "Heavenly Father has a plan for you."
Becky Conger, Area Self-Reliance Manager for the Self-Reliance Department
- "Life changes. Often when we do not expect it. Be willing to change and grow."
- "Listen to the Spirit. You will accomplish things you never thought you could."
- "Get an education and training. This will help you serve and help others."
- "Heavenly Father has a plan for your life and wants the best for you."
- "Trust. Trust Heavenly Father and the Savior to guide you. Trust others that love you and they will help you become the person you are meant to be."
- "Follow the Spirit. It may not make sense at the time. But there is always a reason.
- "The Gospel has protected me throughout my life. It helps me be better so I can be an example to my children. They know I love the gospel and therefore they can grow too."
Christy Peterson, Area Self-Reliance Manager for the Self-Reliance Department
- "You are beautiful. Both inside and out. Being beautiful on the inside is more important than any external beauty."
- "Be your best self."
- "I have always known that I am a Child of God. Therefore, I know that you are too. Some turns and changes in my life have not made sense, but one thing that I knew for sure was that I was a Child of God."
- "You all have a Divine Potential."
- "Ask the Lord what you should do. He knows you best. Spend time asking him."
We then had the treat to visit the Travel Department and see one of the amazing women in our congregation, Joyce Afeaki, in her work space. She gave us a tour of her work area and introduced us to her colleagues. It was amazing to see the vast amount of work that goes on to just keep people traveling in a large organization as a global church. We learned how to count to 5 in Japanese in 3 minutes, we had one of Joyce's colleagues sing to us (he sings in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir) and we piled everyone into Joyce's office for a photo. That worked out well until things started to fall off the walls because too many of us were crowded in.
It was a special day. I am glad that I was able to join and hear how these women have overcome challenges and become people that have touched literally thousands by the work that they do.