November 20, 2018

Perfect Boy-Cave


In our house in Provo I built a tree in Lucky Dragon's room. It was an amazing addition, but alas, it stayed when we sold the house. We have been in our house for going on two years and off and on Lucky Dragon has asked for a tree. I did not want to do the same thing...think I conquered that so bigger and better is necessary...so I designed in my head a tree house.

Lady Hiva, as with all my projects did not agree--even after all these years and renovating a home together, she does not trust my work will look like a "bad DIY job!" Faithless I say! Faithless! haha. So for the last year and a half I would bring it up and push a little bit, then let it go for a while. You know, wear her down a bit. Well, this weekend I had some extra time and with no yard work to do it became a great time to go to Home Depot and "just look at what I need" so $70 worth of wood and materials later I was equipped to go! She was still not happy about it, telling me she did not want holes in the walls. I told her not to worry, she would not even see the holes! (they will be covered by wood--out of sight, out of mind, right?)

We still had to negotiate some details, I wanted the tree to be right in the middle of the room, she chose to voice her disagreeing opinion on that subject in front of our good friend and neighbor (whom thought it was hilarious to see us disagree). She wanted it in the corner....I conceded. I have a fort now build in the room, where the tree is, is just a detail.

It is a rather simple design, two 2x6s, six 2x4s, three 1x2s, a sheet of plywood, 2 joist hangers and screws! It was so much fun to build. I love to take something and make something new. When it gets to creativity, whether writing, painting, baking, building or any other crafts, I design it all in my head and it gets stuck there in cycles until I complete it. I think through all the details, the potential pitfalls and how to overcome them. Then it is all up to making changes as I actually execute it. For example the birthday cake that overflowed and collapsed like an amazing episode of "Nailed it!" This time, however, there were very few of those.
The materials: before picture

When you go shop at Home Depot with Dad and he fills the car with wood and you are tired...get a truck Dad! 

The room: before picture






I was so pleased to have Lucky Dragon willing to help. He loves to use the tools and be part of the plan. His favorite job is to be the "weight" while I cut or drill. He practiced cutting, drilling, leveling and painting during the process. It gives me time to talk with him as we work. Koala Bear did not want to be left out and she tails me as I work. The only time it was scary is when I was carrying th plywood up the stairs and she was right behind me and I was afraid I was going to knock her off the stairs or drop the wood on her. She could not understand why I was yelling at her--not something I normally do. Poor girl has a scary dad! HAHA

I can see why my parents had us do projects like this so we could spend time together. I learned to work and to build things. I learned to understand the basics, which means I can do anything I put my mind to. I would like to find more projects to do, so we can have more experiences like this. That way my two little muggles can look back and know they, too, can build or do anything they put their minds to.









The last tree I made was wood, chicken wire and paper mache. I wanted to make something stronger. So I devised this plan and hoped it worked. I took buckets and cut them to have a 90 degree angle then screwed them to the wall. I then sanded them to make the sides rough and used foam crack filler to make the "bark" of the tree. Then Lucky Dragon and I painted it. We were lucky our neighbors had an extra fake tree they did not want, and that became the tree top. The tree is complete with a squirrel hole (supported by the bottom of the buckets). Last night I looked it and he had all his fake food from the play fridge it was fun to see that he is already tapping into his squirrel like tendencies and storing up!










She wanted to be in the photo too. 





Chopping the decorative tree apart




Overall it turned out well, I think. Lady Hiva even seems to approve. I love that it has become the ultimate boy-cave for Lucky Dragon. I asked him if we wanted to make a sign for his tree house and thought he would want it to stay "Lucky Dragon's Tree house" or "Friends Only" or something similar, but showing his true colors he said he wanted it to say "Welcome." I can learn so much from this little guy.



Now onto the next project...maybe a castle in Koala Bear's room? I wonder how long it will take to convince Lady Hiva that is a good idea? ...oh and by the way, she was right, the tree in the corner was a better idea.
Mom wanted it white, so white it is!



The room and the materials: After photo









No comments:

Post a Comment