November 15, 2019

Brownies For Smiles


This week I had a really fun experience. It was unplanned and spontaneous, but it was amazing! We had a function at work to celebrate 125 years of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doing Family History. At the end of the function, there were several trays of brownies remaining.

I decided to put those to use and bring some smiles and Aloha along the way. I started by giving out brownies to the guests and patrons that came into the building to learn about their family history. As a side note, if you have not been to one of the family history "Discovery" centers in Salt Lake City or Lehi, you should go. It is an interactive hands-on process of linking yourself to your ancestors. There were so many people that loved the fact that they were being given brownies.

From there I expanded my brownie giving to the construction workers in the street, the random strangers that I passed on as we walked. Each of them were full of thankfulness for something so simple.

One couple visiting from India exclaimed that they were glad they visited the United States today to get a brownie. Another woman wanted one, then asked if she could have one for her son. I gave her the whole tray of brownies to her shock and surprise. She told me that she could not eat them all. I responded that she should walk with me and offer them to the crowd of people waiting to cross the road at the light. They were overjoyed at her offer! See, cheer spreads!

I gave brownies to the missionaries around temple square. I gave them to the gardeners and the people putting up Christmas lights for the famous Temple Square light display. I even gave a whole tray to a random couple pulled up to the light in a convertible with their top down. I handed it over as I crossed the street and passed them. I smiled and just kept walking. I can only imagine the conversation they had after that.

At one point I peer-pressured two senior sister missionaries to join me. They had seen me going out and coming back for more. They had so much fun. I was able to capture a few photos of them. When one of the gardeners approached us, she asked if she could have a brownie. She had seen her colleagues eating them and when she asked where they came from she was told "A random guy was walking around Temple Square giving out brownies." Word travels fast I guess.






I met a few homeless people along the way and gave them as many as they wanted. One woman exclaimed, "WOW!" in joy and surprise as I handed her a whole tray.

It was not a planned activity for the day. And to tell you the truth I really do not like brownies. I don't enjoy chocolate and I don't like cake, so brownies are NOT my thing at all. However, today they were a tool to spread Aloha. I laughed, I met some amazing people, and I saw others wanting to be kind as they were treating kindly. It is powerful to see the way kindness spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment