August 24, 2018

Happy 10 Year Birthday To Our Ohana!



We did it...we made it 10 years!

It has been quite a ride too! The roller-coaster of life has taken us on some steep climbs, deep lows and many many turns--some expected and other VERY unexpected. We have laughed--that full body laugh until your gut hurts and you are out of breath. We have cried--from tears of joy to the 'ugly cry' tears of hurt and guilt. We have served, we have been served. We have disagreed, often. We have agreed, often. We have failed. We have succeeded. We are not perfect, but we try. We have loved.

It is that last sentence of this anniversary of our family that I want to focus on. We have loved. We have loved in deeper and more meaningful ways than we thought possible 10 years ago. A few days ago I found myself watching Lady Hiva as she concentrated on serving so many people in our church congregation. As the senior female leader of the congregation, she has a large responsibility on her shoulders. I was struck with how beautiful she is both inside and out. Now, that may sound like a trite, cookie-cutter statement from a husband on an anniversary. However, it is something deeper than that.

She would tell you, in all humility, that she feels like she is not a great leader. But I think that is part of why she IS a great leader.  She is constantly finding ways to serve others--both large and simple. She is constantly thinking about ways to bring love to other's lives. I know this because I have seen lives transform with her ministrations. I have know this because I have seen MY life transform. Her love for me--and mine for hers--has buoyed us through some hard times when we did not know how we were going to make it. It also makes the memories so sweet. I am completely thankful for her and all that she quietly does for so many around her.

As we prepared for this day we remembered our trip to Europe and that was fun. We decided that Lucky Dragon and Pachita Koala Bear are such an integrated part of our 10 years that we wanted to celebrate with them. So we went swimming until we were so exhausted to swim any more. Got ready and went to Cheesecake Factory for dinner and rounded out the evening with a stop at the Lego store and Sees Chocolates.







To say that I am grateful to have our little family--quirks and all--is an understatement. Happy Anniversary, Lady Hiva! Here is to the future!

2 comments:

  1. Love you both and your little ones SO MUCH!! You’ve accomplished so much and I’m so grateful to have you as family! Congratulations!! 👏🏽💖🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your words...they are Hallmark worthy...Love you all so much...glad I got to be part of the 10 year anniversary trip.

    ReplyDelete