August 02, 2018

My Very Own #CakeWarFail

Lady Hiva and I like to watch HGTV and the FOOD Network to see the creativity of people and how they make something out of random items, or create something wonderful from wreckage. Sometimes we will have the TV on as we clean or do other things in the evening because it is the type of TV that you can passively watch.

Because of this, Lucky Dragon as also learned to love the shows. We vote on which home (#1,#2, or #3) we think the people will choose or we "judge" the food and see how close we are to what the real judges try. He enjoys it as much as we do. Apparently, Lady Hiva and Lucky Dragon watched a cake version of a contest and one of the bakers made a monster cake that when you cut into the cake head raspberry compote comes out looking like the monster is bleeding. Sounds gruesome but delicious! So for a month he has been telling me that he wants a monster cake that bleeds when you cut it. As you know a request like this gives me the creative mind and I start recreating how I could make it work.

Well, Lucky Dragon decides to have a Harry Potter themed party, so instead of a monster I decide to make a snake cake. I bought all the ingredients and did the head of the snake and the lower body in Rice Crispy treats. Lady Hiva made fun of me because although she and Kell love Rice Crispy treats and both of them make the treat often, I have never liked them much and therefore have never made them. I have made all kinds of delicate foods, but had no idea how Rice Krispy treats were made. (It is relatively easy by the way).













I then put four layers of cake on top. I used cream cheese frosting instead of buttercream frosting as I had originally planned. I should have known better. Although cream cheese frosting tastes MUCH MUCH better, it does not set up. I then made a strawberry compote with fresh strawberries. I assembled the cake that now between the Rice Krispy treat base and the layers of cake is about 4 feet tall. It was coming together...then it became a bit more exciting!


One crack in the cake towards the bottom started to leak "blood" and soon there was a volcano of blood, cake and frosting! Lady Hiva and I could not stop laughing as I tried to hold it together until it was apparent it was useless effort and gave up. I scraped off the cake portion of the cake and it all ended up in a large bowl. Now it looked disgusting but it tasted DELICIOUS! HAHA I told Lady Hiva we should have taken ti to the church party and called it a trifle so at least it was not wasted. Lady Hiva said that I should post the picture as a #fail...haha








Next I covered the remained cake in fondant. This is the first time I have ever worked with fondant too. It was not bad to use. I just bought (did not want to try to make it) white fondant and colored it with gel food coloring. Lucky I had read before hand that liquid color ruins it--and that we have plenty of gel coloring because Lady Hiva and I both can decorate cakes and cookies.

It turned out alright, I think.












 






I made a Snitch to hang from the ceiling and stuffed a Pinata (Lucky Dragon also requested that). We had let him choose what he wanted in the pinata. We also had some signs Lady Hiva and I had made years ago for a Primary party that added to the theme.






Overall, it was a fantastic party. The most important part is that Lucky Dragon had fun. We were so glad that we had friends and neighbors who came to celebrate with us.



 Harry Potter + Legos = amazingly perfect birthday for our Lucky Dragon





































No comments:

Post a Comment