May 24, 2019

The Windy City

 I had some work meetings in the "Windy City" this week and was able to enjoy being there. I loved being there and it helped me realize how much I miss traveling with Lady Hiva and the kids. Everywhere I went I would see something and it would either make me miss Lady Hiva or think that one of the two muggles would love it. Thank goodness for video calling technology because that made it better because I could call and share my experience with them. This was often cut short because of...you guessed it...wind.

The first day I was there it was really cold and rainy. But I did not want to spend my time hanging out in a hotel room, so I went out. Of course I did not pack a jacket--to which Lady Hiva told me that I was 'unsmart' (using different words). haha. I thought I could just buy a jacket, but the hotel that I found on Hotwire.com was right off Michigan Ave and Magnificent Mile! I could not have had a better place to stay. BUT the shopping was all high end shopping, so a quick jacket at a discount was not an option. Instead I just found random shops and places to visit every so often to keep my body warm and fingers from falling off! HAHA.

One of the first stops was the Fourth Presbyterian Church. It was GORGEOUS! I went in and admired the stain glass windows and the architecture. I went upstairs and walked the prayer labyrinth. Thankfully we watch British home improvement shows so I actually knew what it was. I walked the whole thing...again I thought about the fact that Lucky Dragon would have loved this! It was a peaceful walk as I was all by myself. Until an older woman came in, clearly skipping all the signs that say this is a silent area for contemplation and excitedly yelled at me, "So you are walking the whole thing?!" The sudden burst made me jump. Startled all I could think of was to ask her to join me. She harrumphed and left without another word. HAHA.









 My wanderings took me past little trattorias, restaurants and ethnic foods. Seeing all of this and the diversity of people made me realize how much of that I miss being in Utah. It also made me wish that I was here with Lady Hiva. Things like this we enjoy together. As cool as technology is, you cannot capture smells and little reactions of people as you see them in their element. I found Garrett popcorn, Belgian Chocolates and made my way down to Navy Pier.








I was so excited to see a real Belgian chocolate store. The prices were WAY more expensive than in Belgium, but I bought some to bring home to the family anyway. We all enjoy our Belgian chocolate. 



 Lady Hiva told me to watch for Turkish stores. In all my walking I did not see one, but then when I walked into my hotel I was shocked to see the small cafe in the lobby listed their food in Turkish!!! So shocking! So I had a fresh Simit and relished in it. They told me of their bigger store, Turkitch, 3 miles up the road. I made my way there. Of course they were doing a grand opening party that night and I could not order food. So sad. I was bummed. But as I was walked down the street I found a durum place and was able to eat a doner. It took me a second to get back into speaking Turkish but after stumbling through my first two conversations, the next few were more smooth. They were all shocked when I started to speak to them in Turkish.







 I made my way back to Turkitch the next day. I am so glad that I did. The food was AMAZING!



Lunch...Menamen...and Sojuklu Sandovic

 I asked them if they had kaymak and bal. (Kaymak is a soft Turkish cheese spread made with buffalo milk and bal is honey). They did not sell it but because I was speaking to them in Turkish, they gave me some of their own personal kaymak to eat. It was delicious. i took this photo simply to make Lady Hiva jealous. The group that did this for me showed the kindness and love we experienced in Turkey and made me a customer for life!


 The Cubs were playing so I made it to the fan shop...not knowing that the next day i would be done early with meetings and would make it to a game!

 Lady Hiva is all about eating the local food when visiting a place. Chicago deep dish pizza was on her list for me to try. This did not disappoint. Even if I did have to wait in line for 30 minutes to get it.

 The Cubs game was amazing. I was able to watch Bryce Harper play. The last professional game I went to was a Nationals game when he was playing there too. It was crazy to be there with a packed stadium of Cubs fans. When the Grand-slam was hit I was nearly deaf from the drunken screaming. I decided that a professional sports game is great for people watching. It was much better than hanging out in the hotel room by myself! HAHA
 I had to buy my a hat so my bald head did not get burned. At least then I fit in. Whenever a good thing happened the people around me gave my "high fives" just like any other fan! haha




 The weather the second day I was there was fantastic! I took a run up the shore of Michigan Lake. Seeing everyone out enjoying the sun was perfect. I stopped mid run and laid in the sun. The wind off the lake kept me cool as I took a quick nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment