August 12, 2019

"WIGGLE IT...JUST A LITTLE BIT!"




This last last week I had my first chance to attend Stake Girl's Camp. This is an annual event for young women in our congregation that are 12-18 years old. They meet for a week long camp. Sometimes it is by "Ward" or a local congregation, other times it is with the "Stake" the larger group of 8-10 wards. So we had 9 wards attending that equaled 350+ girls, their leaders and some guy leaders to help set up, take down and help with logistics. I was one of those guy leaders. Usually Lady Hiva is the one that goes to Girl's Camp as a leader and I stay home with the little Muggles. To be honest, I was not really excited about being away from Lady Hiva, the kids, work and everything else for 5 days. Yet, despite my worries I had a blast!

The first day was "Lake Day" I was one of the two male leaders that got into a canoe on the lake. I was literally on the 3 seconds and the splashing started! IT WAS ON! Before we got off the lake, I was thoroughly drenched with several inches of water in our canoe--and most importantly, there were no dry girls either. We laughed and laughed. Several canoes capsized and that was fun too. I had to laugh when I saw two adult female leaders (we won't name, but we will just call Jobi and Nathele) were rushing away from being splashed (me and my canoe partner may or may not have been in splashing pursuit), they accidentally t-boned another canoe--this one had two 13 year old girls. The girls' boat capsized and Jobi and Nathele kept paddling on in full force, leaving two wet floundering little girls in their wake. In an attempt to lessen the blow Nathele yelled back as they cruised away, "Sorry!"  We pulled up and the girls about capsized us as they tried to climb in! HAHA

Moms sending off their girls



President Paongo giving opening words







 


















 The week was full of singing, chanting, dancing and laughter. I was impressed to see the way the girls could go from chanting in loud energy to sharing a really spiritual experience in minutes. These chants have been stuck in my head for the rest of the week--random parts of the chants like how to "wiggle it...just a little bit" hahaha. I danced and hiked and cheered and talked with them.






























































 There were moments that I saw these young girls overcome their fears on the ropes/confidence course; I cheered for them as their pushed themselves up a steep early morning hike; I cried as they opened up and talked about the burdens they carry. My heart went out to them as they stood up in bravery and asked for help, and offered to be there to help others.





























































 Sister Becky Craven, Second Counselor in the General Young Women's Presidency showed up to camp. It was so spiritual to listen to the girls sit and sing hymns as we awaited her arrival. These young women are such powerful and strong. I hope that at some point they begin to see how wonderful and powerful they are.

























The leaders from our ward! All of them are SO amazing!













If you zoom, in you can see that someone surprise decorated and the star said "You are an angle" So these girls are posing as an obtuse and acute angle! hahaha








These ladies put together the entire camp in just 5 weeks! Their work paid off!









Although I was hesitant to go, I am glad that I did. I came home physically and emotionally exhausted, but completely happy and spiritually strengthened. I hope that the girls find a way to remember the experience and have it impact the way they view themselves. They are beautiful in every way. It was an unforgettable week!


No comments:

Post a Comment