July 06, 2020

SOLIDARITY: Black Lives Matter To Our Family

In my classes I am always challenging my students to find what topics/ideas are important to them and find ways to be the change agent to support that topic or idea. Each week it is fun to come to class and hear what they have done and how they are doing it. There are plenty of ways that they can be those change agents in today's political climates. 

In our family we have talk A LOT about race and the importance to have diversity and what it means to love all people and the differences they bring. This is especially important for us because we have four people with four eye colors, four different shades of skin, four different hair colors and four personalities. BUT despite our differences, we all have good to offer and are trying to do our best. Much like all other people in the world. 

So this weekend I took the advice that I give my students and we went to support the Black Lives Matter event in Park City, UT. It was so much fun. We had two friends--one neighbor and another that went to college with me--that were two of four artists selected to do murals on the Main Street in Park City. Each of these artists have a story to tell. Each of them tell it so powerfully. We loved walking up and down the street and hearing the conversations. That was the best part of it all--the event provided a space to start conversations. 

Talk about what makes you uncomfortable. Find ways to connect to others. Celebrate differences. Love others--all others. 







 Bill allowed Lucky Dragon paint some of it as well. He was SO excited. it made his day. Talk about an immersive experience when discussing topics that matter.












































 They had a section of road that we could add what kindess meant to us. Lucky Dragon wanted to write "Freedom" and I wrote "Love." Koala Bear was hot and refused to get out of the wagon! HAHA









 This kid wanted to go see the art. We went into several art galleries and walked around discussing the art and technique. I did not think anything of it as that is just how we are. But as I walked out of the store and the employee said goodbye...I realized I had just gone into an art gallery with a 6 year old and a 3 year old and we discussed painting and styles of art. I was so proud of my two little muggles in that moment.

 Lucky Dragon took on the Escape Room Challenge. He had to read a riddle and solve it. Then get the next clue. It was fun to do it as a family. After that they both were begging we go to a "real" escape room together.








 What a special day. I hope experiences like this help our children know it is OK to be different. It is OK to love others. It is OK to ask questions. It is OK to stand up for what they feel is right. Most of all, I hope they know they can love others and themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment