March 17, 2020

Documenting Our Family and the Coronavirus

Like many of you worldwide, our family has been facing changes in our lives due to the Pandemic of Coronavirus (COVID-19). This includes the disruption of schedules, working from home, teaching my classes via technology, church and temple worship cancelled, and a random shortage of food and supplies. I decided to write a blog about it for memory purposes. I am sure that many of you have your own stories and experiences that you can share. 

All of you know of my love of bleach/Clorox/Janola! We use it all over. If I am cleaning the bathroom or kitchen, the first thing that I do is spray bleach everywhere. If something stinks, I spray bleach, find a mouse hole...spray bleach, need to kill a bug? spray bleach...haha. We have gallons of bleach in every bathroom, the laundry room and the kitchen. We use Clorox wipes to clean all the time. So it is odd to see how everyone else is now buying all of it too! I overheard a conversation in Home Depot between a customer and an employee about whether Pinesol is a disinfectant. I had to laugh because the customer was a woman in her 60s and the employee looked like a high school student. I had to wonder to myself what this woman used to clean her house before this! And why she thought this high school random stock person at a hardware store would be the expert of cleaners and disinfectants! HAHA

A few days ago we had a small flood in our basement. It really was small and nothing was damaged. As I was reorganizing I could not help but think that we had so much stuff and why do we have all this extra food/goods? However, as I walk through stores seeing people panic I am so glad we have it. It was mind boggling to walk through store after store and see not only cleaners gone but the stores completely ravaged. Literally NOTHING on the shelves. There is something truly saying about preparation saves you from panic. 






I stole this photo from a friend as you can see Peeps do not make the hoard list...shouldn't make it on any list in my opinion! HAHA

 These two Muggles are troopers. They have waited in long lines with me. Faced the masses of people with me. To them it just seems like a big game. I now make sure I have some carrots in my cart before I get into line and as we are waiting the three of us munch on them and chat about random things.

 The other day I went to the store and was going to pick up some toilet paper. We have some, but if people keep being crazy, I wanted to make sure that I some for the next few weeks. There was a sign rationing cleaning supplies and toilet paper. The shelves were empty, but the truck had come and people were opening the boxes themselves and getting what they needed. Most people only took the 2 they were rationed. There was on case left, there was me and another guy standing there, I --trying to be nice--let him open the box assuming he was going to do as everyone else had just done. Instead of opening the box, he looked straight at me and put the whole case in his cart!!!! I was shocked! What if I had really needed it? What if an elderly person had needed it? I hope he feels good about himself. I took a photo as he checked out...he now will be remembered as the inconsiderate and selfish guy forever! haha
 The lines at Costcos are CRAZY! On Saturday they wrapped around the building TWICE! Luckily, we were able to make it to one with no line and when we arrived we could get our one pack of toilet paper that was being rationed. We also stopped by the flour mill and waited in line for one bag of flour that was being rationed. I am glad we did that because it is the last of the flour they will have for the rest of the month. They told me that they are selling the rest to Costco and my best bet is to buy it there. LOL! HAVE THEY BEEN TO COSTCO THIS WEEK!!!?

On Sunday I saw that someone posted the Costco next to us, which by the way is ALWAYS crazy--we avoid it on normal times and will drive further to another one less crazy, had toilet paper. I was tempted to go shopping on the Sabbath--something that as a family we have decided to not do in honor of the Sabbath day. But I didn't the next day I went early and the line was already around three sides of the building. When we got close they told us the toilet paper had sold out. The worker said they were shocked because they had sold over $67,000usd worth of toilet paper in 1 day! Crazy!



This was a post from one of my friends...I had to share it with my BYU-loving family and friends...hahah

Hand Sanitizer--already in every car--has now a place in nearly every room

I have been working from home and after we finally were able to get our 1 ration of Costco toilet paper I asked the Muggles to put it away while I was on a work call. I finished the call and came out to this! They were so proud of themselves. I guess there is a lesson there that preparation fortifies you. They literally fortified themselves in with the exact thing that has everyone else panicking.




I love how she is so happy about it and he looks like he is seriously contemplating his engineering


 We even found some time to go for a hike on Sunday. It was such a beautiful day. Please note that Koala Bear decided she was going to dress as Elsa and chose to wear heels on the hike!~ It did not slow her down any.



















 Lady Hiva does NOT like family photos. But because everyone else is taking photos while her parents were here, we had one too. It is not a perfect photo (but we are not perfect) But it is us and I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment