March 01, 2020

ROOTS TECH 2020--It's All About Family

Us with Elder John H. Groberg 
Now that I have been moved to the Family History Department, I was part of Roots Tech, an international genealogist conference. It is geared towards learning how to connect families, both living and ancestors. There are several people that plan this conference for nearly a year. Then for the last few weeks it has been "all-hands on deck." We bagged gifts, we sand, we danced, we greeted, we ate. It was fun. 

I invited Lady Hiva and the kids to come walk through with me for a time. It was so much fun. I loved exploring with them. It is fun to be there are get paid to talk with people, but even more exciting to have people with me! 

A Replica of the Mayflower

Our kids were unsure what a "phonebooth" was hahaha







 We were walking around and someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was Elder John H Groberg. He is the missionary in the Other Side of Heaven. He talked to us for a bit and then asked if these were our kids. I was so happy to see him. What a great example of faith and love for use to look up to.






 

We took Green Screen photos. Lucky Dragon wanted to choose Turkey! And Canada. 




 On Saturday I had to go back for an all day shift. Lucky Dragon wanted to go with me. So did Koala Bear, but she would not last that long. But Lucky Dragon was so good. We worked so hard. We spread joy to others all day by saying hellos, smiling, bringing them snacks and drinks, and finding ways to serve them. At first he was nervous, but by the end of the day he was offering stuff to anyone he could find.











 Everyone wore tags that showed which languages they speak. He saw that and wanted to put a French tag on. Because of that, we found out that there are so many French speakers. I was so proud of him and his courage to speak a new language.
Lucky Dragon and three people that were speaking French with him. 


 He played a game and surprised all the players when he drew this card and immediately answered that his grandparents are from Tonga! They thought it would be a hard question for him. The only question he got stumped on was how his parents got engaged.

He made them silent when he asked what an ancestor was and the woman said, "Ancestors are our family that have died." He said, "Like my sisters and brother?" They just stared and blinked. Did not know quite what to say. HAHA. I am glad that he understands life and that we can discuss death and family members in such an open and loving way.
 He made a corn-husk doll for himself and one for his sister.












 






 It was such a good day today. It was a LONG day, but I loved having time with Lucky Dragon, to say that I am proud of him and the hard work that he put in, is an understatement. I love this guy so much.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool experience for you and Tauaho xoxo Pluba

    ReplyDelete